Friday, June 19, 2009

The Dark Hills Divide by Patrick Carman



After he died, I huddled up against the wall, searching for what little warmth remained locked away in the giant stones. My eyes fell upon the locket around Warvold's lifeless neck, and then to his closed fist clutching the locket key, which got me to thinking about things one really should not be thinking about at such a time. If ever there were a person who would know how to get outside teh wall, it would have been Warvold. I didn't know what other things the key might unlock, but I had a suspicion that possessing it might get me one step closer to sitting with my back against the other side of the wall. (29)

Twelve-year-old Alexa Daley is the only one there when Warvold dies, the smartest and oldest leader of the four interconnected towns in the Land of Elyon. After his death, trouble starts threatening from a neighboring town outside the protective but confining walls that Alexa has lived behind all her life. Alexa is curious what lays behind there, and is intent to find out. What she discovers in her search however is danger that no one expected; a danger that everyone thought had left the towns years ago. Now, with the head guard suspiciously watching her every move, Alexa must save her town in The Dark Hills Divide, the first in the Land of Elyon series by Patrick Carman.

AMY

No comments: