Monday, May 04, 2009

Diary of a Fairy Godmother by Esme Raji Codell

"You'll excuse me for saying so, but I never would have guessed you were a fairy godmother from your uniform."
"I am not a fairy godmother." I glowered, shaking my hands to get rid of the needles that seemed to be prickling from the inside. "I am a witch."
She shrugged. "Sorry." And went back to jostling the baby in her arms. ...
"I am a witch, I said to myself as I fled the hall. I am a witch. I am a witch. (32)

Hunky Dory has heard all her life from her mother that "You'll be the wickedest witch wherever the four winds blow." Hunky has been taking lessons for years, getting extra credit for talking back and learning how to turn princes into toads and other animals. But Hunky hasn't seemed to be very interested in witchcraft lately. Instead, she's turned to wishcraft, which gets her kicked out of school and her house. While she experiments with both wishcraft and witchcraft, trying to determine which one she likes best, she deals with her crush on Rumplestiltskin, a pint-sized Goldilocks who considers Hunky her sister, and a pesky pen-pal named Cinderella. Esme Raji Codell weaves her spell on readers with this fractured fairy-tale from the fairy's point of view in Diary of a Fairy Godmother. It's also available as a audiobook on CD, which is very-well narrated by Rachael Lillis.
AMY

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you have a wonderful site!