Thursday, August 27, 2009

The Talented Clementine by Sara Pennypacker


"What's the matter Clementine?" he asked me right away--I guess my worried face was still on.
I handed him the stupid flyer my teacher had sent home with us.
"Talent-Palooza, Night of the Stars! Share your talents Saturday night!" he read. Then he handed the stupid flyer back to me. "So, what's the problem?"
I leaned over--but not too close in case he thought I was trying to be his girlfriend, which I am not--and whispered the problem to him.
"I can't hear you," he said.
So I whispered it again.
"I still can't hear you," he said.
So I yelled it.
"That's impossible," he said. "Everybody has a talent."
"Not me." (8-10)

Clementine is back in Sara Pennypacker's second novel in the series, The Talented Clementine. But third grader Clementine is anything but talented: she can't sing, she can't dance, she can't play a musical instrument, ok fine she can't even hop or sit down right. Her fourth grade friend Margaret suggests Clementine borrows one of her many talents, but they all fail miserably, especially tap dancing with bottle caps glued to her sneakers. The day of the Clementine is still searching for a talent, but the one she finds is nothing anyone expected.

AMY

No comments: