Sunday, August 16, 2009

The Vast Fields of Ordinary by Nick Burd


I was sixteen at the time, and I knew I wasn't straight. I'd known that for a fact since I was ten and my babysitter Kendra Kaufman let me stay up late and watch Nigh of 1,000 Werewolves, one of Johnny Morgan's first films.
"I want to marry Johnny Morgan," I told her when the credits were rolling.
"Kid," Kendra said, "don't tell our parents I let you watch that movie, and definitely don't tell them what you just told me." (15)

Dade Hamilton is struggling to come to grips with his life, which is spinning out of control. His dad tells him that he's cheating on Dade's mother, before telling his mother. He's introduced to Lucy, a lesbian who has moved from California to live with her aunt in the small Iowa town because her parents think it will straighten her out. Finally, Dade realizes just after high school graduation that the guy he's been dating will never be interested in breaking up with his public girlfriend and pursuing their secret relationship. When things couldn't get any worse, Dade meets Alex at a party. From that starts an never ending spiral of events in Nick Burd's The Vast Fields of Ordinary.

AMY

No comments: