Friday, August 07, 2009

A Certain Strain of Peculiar by Gigi Amateau


The boys sit right in front of me, wondering right out loud if there could ever be a girl more disgusting than me. My face turns violet, I'm sure of it, because I fear that my skin will not hold in all of the blood rising up into my head. I seal myself completely inside my hair canopy, so no sound can get in and no sound can get out. (3)

In this book by Gigi Amateau, Mary Harold Woods is just finishing eighth grade, and couldn't be more miserable. So she essentially steals her mom's old pick-up truck and credit card and drives the 691 miles in the middle of the night to her Grandma Ayma's house. Once there, she convinces her mother to let her stay in Wren, Alabama, the one place her mother can't stand to be. But things don't start off the way she planned, being called queer when she makes friends with Dixie, who acts nonstop like she's a horse. Can Mary Harold learn to deal with each person who has A Certain Strain of Peculiar?

AMY

No comments: