Sunday, September 20, 2009

Every Soul a Star by Wendy Mass


My jaw falls open. I couldn't be more surprised if she told me NASA called to say the eclipse has been cancelled. My knees buckle. My mother tightens her grip on my hands. "WHAT? What are you talking about?"
"Oh, wow," the girl leaning against the wall says. "And I though MY parents snuck this on us! But at least we had some warning." (107)

Three teenagers from completely different backgrounds end up meeting at a camp event centered around a complete solar eclipse. Ally and her younger brother Kenny live at the camp with their parents and are homeschooled about the stars but not about what makes a kid popular in the real world. Popular, soon-to-be model Bree and her younger sister Melanie's physicist parents are buying the camp and taking over immediately after the eclipse, which Bree is not happy about at all. And then there's Jack -- sci fi fanatic, artistic, and loner -- who is dragged along by his science teacher as an alternative to attending summer school for failing science. Joined by Ally's long time friend Ryan, the stars collide when these kids gather to watch the eclipse in Wendy Mass's newest novel, titled Every Soul a Star.

AMY

No comments: